This week, in preparation for my upcoming novella, I thought I would ask your opinion on marketing. I have done a little research and found a few ideas that appeal to me.
1. Social media. Of course, we already do this, otherwise you wouldn’t be reading my blog, and I wouldn’t have written it.
2. A contest with a twist. There is a point in my story where my hero tells the heroine to be quiet and yell if she gets into trouble. She’s just about to ask how she can keep quiet and yell at the same time when he takes off.
Perhaps a contest for “The best comeback you never said” might be an idea or maybe “The best comeback you ever heard” could be better.
3. Blog interviews with other romance writers. I like the idea of connecting with, and helping to promote, a fellow author.
4. Garnering reviews – I’m a bit fuzzy on how to accomplish this, so if any of you have any advice I would be grateful.
5. Attend conferences and book signings. This is already a problem for me because I’ll be in London in August and can’t attend the When Words Collide Conference in Calgary. (This is a real bummer because many of the wonderful writers from ARWA will be there and I so wanted to connect with them.)
And I have no idea about book signings, especially as I will be e-published and am not sure how that would work. I can also imagine sitting there, all on my lonesome, drinking coffee – sigh.
Okay, that’s as far as I’ve got. I know it’s pitiful.
So, for all you authors out there I have to ask, what do you do? What works for you and what doesn’t?
And for the readers, I want to know what promotional ideas have caught you eye? Have there been any? Or do you just pick books based on their covers at the bookstores. If you buy eBooks what prompts you to take a chance on a new author?
I would love to know what you think. If you don’t feel comfortable leaving your opinion in the comments section please feel free to go to my contact page and leave me a private message.
I want to thank you in advance for taking the time to tell me your opinions. I will share any ideas in a later blog.
Here’s the final cover from The Wild Rose Press cover artist, Debbie Taylor. You can see her work on Facebook at www.facebook.com/dca.graphics or go to her website www.DCAGraphics.com
My Latest News
I'm currently writing a novella which will be included in a multi-author boxed set, due to be published in February 2019